Beginner’s Shibori Stitching and Binding with Indigo
In this class you will learn basic shibori stitching and binding techniques before dyeing your work in the indigo vat.
Over the day’s workshop you’ll master the following stitching and binding skills and learn all about indigo:
- The basic kamosage knot used to secure all bound work
- How to make the kumo (spiderweb), bai (seashell), and ne maki (bound beads) patterns using binding
- The three basic stitches – nui (running stitch), ori nui (teeth) and maki nui (twist stitch)
- How to create filled shapes (maki-age) using stitching and binding
- How to make the dye your fabrics in a genuine indigo vat
Instructions on how to create and maintain your own indigo vat at home will be provided.
Suitable for complete beginners.
The tutor will bring examples of their work which is available for purchase as well as shibori books should anyone wish to continue their practice at home.
Rob Jones is a textiles designer specialising in the Japanese resist dyeing technique "Shibori", derived from the Japanese verb Shiboru, meaning to wring or to squeeze. Rob works out of a studio under an old railway arch in Hackney in East London and teaches Shibori at various venues in and around London.
For more information visit www.romordesigns.com